Apprenticeship Wages Benefits, and Advancement
Apprentices start out at 35% of our Journeyperson wage package which is $16.62 per hour, plus $16.68 in fringe benefits, under the Collective Bargaining Agreement.
The work week consists of 40 hours; any work in excess of 8 hours per day and Saturday is paid at the rate of time and one-half; Sundays and holidays are paid at double time. There is a vacation fund included in the wage structure. There are no paid holidays.
Apprentices are required to attend 160 hours per year of related instruction for four years, provided by the Joint Apprentice and Training Committee, in a daytime program located at the J.A.T.C. Training Center at 440 Barell Avenue, Carlstadt, NJ. Apprentices are paid by their contractor/employer while they are attending apprentice day school. Fringe benefit contributions are made by the employer on behalf of apprentices to the following funds:
- Vacation Fund
- Health & Welfare Fund
- Pension Fund
- Annuity Fund
- Education Fund
- Local & National Industry Fund
- National Training Fund
- Must have a valid driver’s license/have a reliable means of transportation
- Must pass a drug screening
- Must take a written Mechanical Aptitude Examination (Part 1 – Computation, Part 2 – Concepts & Application, Part 3 – Mechanical Reasoning, Part 4 – Space Relations.)
- Must be able to work in all weather conditions (heat, cold, rain, snow, etc.)
- Must be able to get to work in any of the eight counties in Local 25’s jurisdiction; Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic, Somerset, Sussex, and Union Counties
- Applicants must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and provide a copy of your original vaccination card front and back, as well as the PDF from Docket or Excelsior Vaccination mobile application.
- Must be able to endure the physical demands of the construction industry
- Must be available to work overtime, evenings, and weekends if required
- Must be able to be on your feet for 8 hours every day and must be able to lift at least 40 lbs.
- Must be able to climb at least an 8-foot ladder
- Must be willing to wear personal protective equipment (PPE) specifically hard hat, safety gloves, safety glasses, ear protection, work boots, neon colored clothing, but not limited to these items
- Must be able to obtain SWAC and TWIC cards
- Must submit W-2 forms from past & present employers (5yrs.)
- Must submit official high school transcripts, GED and any other school transcripts or certifications (trade school, college, welding, etc.)
- Must complete online Application
- Must email required documents to email@example.com
- Must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19
Apprentice School Rules & Requirements
- All apprentice day school classes are held at the Sheet Metal Workers Local Union No. 25 Training Center, 440 Barell Avenue, Carlstadt, NJ or via ZOOM. Classes are from 6:30 AM until 3:00 PM.
- Apprentice School Tuition is $75.00 per semester and due by the first day you are in school and must be paid online through the Union Fusion System.
After the first year, and every twelve (12) months thereafter, upon successful completion of two (2) terms, apprentices are advanced both terms and receive a 10% pay raise.
Sheet Metal Workers’ Local Union 25 maintains jurisdiction over the work being performed in Bergen, Hudson, Passaic, Morris, Somerset, Sussex, Essex and Union Counties in Northern New Jersey.